More great stuff from our friends at Multilingual Mania. This time, five key components to a successful bilingual program:
Effective bilingual programs have:
- administrators and site instructional personnel who are knowledgeable and supportive of the goals and design of the bilingual program,
- highly qualified bilingual teachers,
- a clearly articulated program model design that is faithfully implemented at each grade level,
- multiple opportunities for parent involvement, education, and support with an emphasis on topics pertinent to the bilingual program, and
- programs that utilize separation of languages and monolingual lesson delivery, to the best extent possible.
Ask questions. Get involved. Be patient. Be persistent.